Friday, June 3, 2011

After talking to Kathy about the matte paintings I was doing, we discussed my lack of knowledge in the painting area. I decided it's all good and well me following tutorials teaching me how to matte paint, which are great but as my actual painting skills aren't up to scratch, just following tutorials isn't enough. I need to actually get better at painting and the different techniques before I really understand and progress in digital painting and digital matte painting. Another issue I was having, which I spoke to Kathy about, is my total lack of inspiration which was making matte painting really un-enjoyable. Again, I think I have grasped the basic concepts but most of the time I will sit in front of the computer with a blank canvas not knowing where to start. A lot of the matte painting tutorials and finished pieces seem to be post apocalyptic sci-fi alien scenes or disaster scenes. I have yet to find more stylised matte paintings, apart from this.....





...the link I can't seem to find (or to have saved) so I will have to find it another time. Duuuhhh.

Annnyway, I think what I am trying to say through all the waffle is I like stylised more than ultra real life, I find it more interesting and although there is a huge skill to be able to paint super true to life, I'm not great at it. So the plan of action is to go out today and do some small sketches of backgrounds around where I live to get some more inspiration and pictures so I can then transfer them to digitalness to improve my digital painting from real life annnddd have inspiration. Wahoo!